ESFR-SMART European Workshop on Liquid metal thermal hydraulic and fuel safety
June 11th-14th 2019
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (Naval Engineering School) and CIEMAT
The School of Naval Engineering of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) is located in Ciudad Universitaria, in Moncloa district, one of the liveliest and most popular entertainment areas preferred by young people in Madrid. There is a large variety of hotels, restaurants, bars and pubs around. Nearest metro stations to the School are Moncloa (lines 3 and 6, at only 10 minutes walking) and Ciudad Universitaria (line 6 at only 7 minutes walking).
The Naval Engineering School building was inaugurated in 1948 and was one of the first schools being part of the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. Two singular museums, such as The Museum of America and The Costume Museum are located also in Ciudad Universitaria, at walking distance from the workshop site.
The CIEMAT took over from the old Junta de Energía Nuclear (JEN), which since 1951 had led research in nuclear fission energy production and control in Spain. In the decade of the eighties, it opened to new energy alternatives and to applied study of the environmental impact of energy. At present, the main lines of action are the study, development, promotion and optimisation of various sources as: renewable energies, nuclear fusion, nuclear fission and fossil fuels; the study of their impact on the environment, development of new technologies; not forgetting areas of basic research such as high-energy physics and molecular and cellular biology.
Registration is closed.
Priority registration was given to:
- the ESFR-SMART partners
- students involved in the ESFR-SMART project
- European universities implementing Generation IV education and/or research activities
The workshop will be held at the Naval Engineering School (UPM) (Avenida de la Memoria, 4, Ciudad Universitaria, 28040 Madrid) and at CIEMAT (Avenida Complutense, 40, Ciudad Universitaria, 28040 Madrid).
A social event will be organized on Thursday evening, June 13th at 21:00, at the restaurant "Casa de Valencia", Paseo Pintor Rosales, 58 (www.lacasavalencia.es).
Participants are responsible for their travel and accommodations. There is a wide offer of hotels, hostels and pensions in Madrid. Most of them can be booked online.
Some recommended hotels in the Moncloa district, near UPM & CIEMAT:
- Courtyard by Marriott Madrid Princesa (4 stars)
- Hotel Exe Moncloa (4 stars)
- Hotel Tirol (3 stars)
- Travel time from the Barajas airport to Moncloa district is about 40 minutes by taxi. Price around 30 euros.
- By underground, Line 8 directly connects the Airport to the "Nuevos Ministerios" station, then, change for Line 6 towards “Ciudad Universitaria” or “Moncloa” station. See the Metro network map.
- More info about Madrid:
- Plan your trip: http://www.esmadrid.com/en/plan-your-trip-madrid
- Discover Madrid: http://www.esmadrid.com/en/discover-madrid
- Things to do: http://www.esmadrid.com/en/things-to-do-in-madrid
- Note: Sigle metro ticket only can be bought to be loaded in a Multi Card. This means that when you buy the first ticket you have also to buy the Card (2.5€). After that, any ticket can be bought and loaded in the Card. The card can be used by several persons at the same time. It is not personal. There are also other options as the Touristic Cards that can be convenient
Workshop organizing committee
For additional information, please contact the workshop organizing committee:
- Diana Cuervo: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Francisco Alvarez Velarde: email@example.com
- Christian Latgé: firstname.lastname@example.org